Monday, September 1, 2014

The W Restaurant - DuQouin

For my husbands birthday our good friends Molly and William made reservations for us at The W Restaurant in DuQuoin (we went to Rustle Hill for Molly's birthday last year, but I never got to blog about it, because I sent my camera through the washing machine the next morning. >_< )
I know what you're thinking (same thing I was) , 'A fancy restaurant in DuQuoin? Yeah, right.' But really, it's beautiful.  The W is right outside of town on a ranch (A ranch in DuQuoin? yes, really!) with big longhorn steers staring at you while you meander up the drive.

(picture courtesy of the Southern)

There was a class reunion going on the night we were there, so it was really busy (and I didn't get to wander around and take pictures like I normally would) but either way I do recommend reservations.  I would think it is busy enough that you will prefer, if not need them.
The W, beyond the pretty ranch it sits on, honestly doesn't look like much when you reach the building.  It's a big pole barn type building, with a fenced off area in back where people were on horses.  If you have a twinge of disappointment at the outside, walking onto the porch and in the door will more than make up for it.


The entire inside is warm, welcoming, and rustic.  The theme, of course, is ranches, horses, and rustic charm.  We sat right inside the door in one of several dining rooms, and the W also sports private dining as well as a bar and outside seating to watch the cowboys ride horses and rope cattle.




 (last 2 pics courtesy of the Southern)

The W has an impressively creative drink menu, and we took full advantage of it.  Kevin had a Jack and coke, and me, Molly, and William had a Georgia Peach, Raspberry Lemon Drop, and AppleTini, respectively.  I don't think I even need to say how amazing they all were :)


The menu is beautiful.  It has plenty of choices, but it's not overwhelming.  They have four or so salad choices, half a dozen entrees, anther half a dozen or so sandwiches, some A La Cart items, and just a few desserts.  But honestly, who needs a menu that takes an hour to read and even longer to make a selection?  Not to mention how they keep everything fresh by only having those few things they need on hand.  The W has something for everyone, and it's all amazing, and I commend them for a smaller menu.


I ordered the pork chop with fruit glaze, and it was probably the best I've ever had.  Sweet and salty and cooked to absolute perfection.  Not to mention that the chop itself was so big I took no more than three bites of my baked potato.  Prices are about what you would expect to pay at any fine dining restaurant, between $15 and $25 a plate. 


Of course, we couldn't go without dessert, but our entire table was stuffed, so we ordered one slice of Kahlua Pie, and let me tell you, even between the four of us, once slice is all we needed.


The staff was quick and courteous, even with a packed house.  We were not rushed through our courses nor our after dinner chit chat.  I didn't see the bill, but I imagine with the four of us it hovered comfortably around the hundred dollar mark.   After you've thoroughly stuffed yourself, it seems that a lot of people go outside onto the porch and 'sit a spell.'  It's lit up beautifully with globe lights and is super inviting.



There was a bunch of lights on in the arena when we went out, so naturally we went to investigate.  Apparently we had just missed the bull roping, and they were getting the steers lined up to go back out the gate.  I mentioned how a brown brindle one was pretty, so then one of the cowboys said he'd sell it to me. Ha, Thanks?  No thanks.  The reunion was gathered mostly in the outdoor seating area right next to the arena, which was really neat because it was almost completely walled in yet still was (and felt) like it was outside.  I would really like to sit out there sometime and watch the action with a meal.

All in all, I highly recommend the W Restaurant.  It's definitely the kind of place I would return to time and again.

The W Restaurant & Lounge
7230 State Route 152
Du Quoin, IL 62832
(618) 542-2424
(888) 971-9435

http://www.thewrestaurant.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheWRestaurantLounge


Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Saturday 5 p.m. – close 
Sunday 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m





No comments: